Covenant Baptist Church believes that the primary goal of our church is to be found in fulfilling Jesus Christ's Great Commission as found in Matthew 28-18-20:
"And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
At Covenant, our desire is to follow the biblical model of the church at Antioch where they were so delighted in the Good News of Jesus Christ, the members of the church, before the church even formed, were "gossipping the Gospel" to their neighbours. It was out of this that the first, diverse multiethnic church was formed (Acts 11:19-30). Our desire is to continue this natural relational and intentional evangelistic approach. We have done this and continue to do this by a variety of outreach vehicles including:
- Church Outreach Events: members invite their family, friends and co-workers to specific outreach events throughout the year including our annual Good Friday and Christmas Supper celebrations. These events always include an explict Gospel presenation.
- Church Outreach Bible Studies: We have done this in many forms over the years, including most recently an outreach Bible Study on the campus of the University of Toronto.
- Community Events: We have also sought to engage our community and put out resource tables where we seek to engage people with the Good News of Jesus Christ.
- Personal and Relational Evangelism: The area that has been most fruitful for us in seeing people transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit has been the intentional discipling relationships that have formed within the congregation as we share our Christian lives and testimonies and engage others in multiple ways.
- Church Planting: We are committed to planting churches. We planted our first church in 2017 in Bridgetown, Barbados. We pray that we will have the opportunity to plant more churches in Southern Ontario in the near future.
In September 2017 Covenant planted its first church plant internationally on the island of Barbados. Pastor Jon Ryttersgaard, an elder of Covenant Toronto, was commissioned by the church to plant the new church Covenant Reformed Baptist Church of Barbados. We hope and pray that the Lord will bless this effort and that it will be the first of many church plants to come. We are thankful for the assistance and partnership in the Reformed Baptist Network in this endeavour.
Over its history, Covenant Baptist Church has given to various mission projects, particularly in the Philippines including Cubao Reformed Baptist Church and its work in relief projects and the establishment of their seminary, Grace Ministerial Academy.
Covenant Baptist Church has also partnered with L'Association des Églises Réformées Baptistes du Québec (AERBQ) for seminary training with a view to establishing a Missions Society at some point in the future.
Every week on Sunday evenings before the evening service we have a corporate prayer meeting focused on praying for missions, both our own and those of the Network.