Jesus' Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 talks about the primary mission of the church to "make disciples" of all men.
At Covenant we believe that discipleship both formal and informal is at the heart of the Christian experience as we grow together as the Body of Christ. This happens in small groups, larger ones and individually one on one.
Our formal disicpleship happens:
- Through the regular consumption of the preached word - Sunday morning and evening.
- Through our weekly Covenant Discipleship meeting. As we have no "Sunday school" classes (except for Bible Circle) this is a elder-led teaching session. It's open for questions and discipleship. Currently we are "Reading through the Bible Together" and doing an overview of a different biblical book every week. Previous topics in our discipleship class over the past number of years have included practical topics like evangelism and apologetics, biblical logic, the spiritual gifts. Other things we have studied include deeper discussion of the biblical doctrines of the Covenants of Works and Grace, as well as a study in the London Baptist Confession of Faith, Covenant Discipleship is followed by corporate prayer and happens in homes around the GTA. For locations and current studies, please contact us for details.
- Through our Ladies' Discipleship group. They have their own website here. The posts are not currently updated with the latest sessions, but they can give you an idea of the focus.
- Through our Covenant Leadership Discipleship program. This is an elder-led discipling of future leaders in the church. It is primarily oriented towards those interested in church office, but, all are welcome to learn as the Biblical passages on elder and deacon qualifications are meant for every Christian. This group meets monthly at Pastor Chris' home.
- Our Youth and Young Adult group. Covenant Youth Fellowship (CYF) is currently led by one of the men in the Leadership training group and it meets bi-weekly. They are currently studying the book of Ephesians together.
- Our Bible Circle Sunday school program for young children during the Sunday morning service. This is meant to train our young children to be able to sit in church and to expose them to the Gospel at an accesssible level. Currently, we are using the Children Desiring God curriculum "Jesus What a Saviour"
But, discipleship isn't limited to formal discipleship. Our men and women, leaders and regular members often meet informally for discipleship - for coffee or a meal, perhaps reading a book together, praying or serving with one another.